View Single Post
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I haven't gotten up there and looked but most of the LED strip lighting like that has self adhesive backing on it and is typically fairly easy to remove. If that is the case you should be able to take a plastic putty knife (a razor blade might cut into the trailer finish) and scrape off the current lights.

Multicolored LED strip lighting is readily available (its called RGB=red green blue or RGBW=red, green, blue, white or RGBA=amber instead of white--makes better pastels) Hey my hobby is stage lighting give me a break.

Aspect is a good source on the web. Nice thing about LED is you can get it in 12 volt DC which makes it easy to power and Aspect has controllers with remotes that allow you to setup all sorts of color variations. Should be simply a matter of peeling off the old and replacing it with the new if you can find where the wiring is behind the cabinets. One warning though, while you can pull power from the current wiring multicolor will require additional conductors going to the actual strip (one for each color plus a common). Good news is that LED strip lighting that short pulls very little wattage so even telephone wire may suffice from the controller to the strip at least. You will need a controller but they are dirt cheap and can be mounted inside your trailer to protect them. Use heat shrink to weatherproof the connections and keep the wiring tidy. You can still use the power wire and main switch to get power to the controller. Just be sure what voltage you are working with up there (most likely it will be 12volt but verify non the less).

I know this all sounds complicated but it really isn't.

Another option is to add the new thin rope lighting that will fit inside the track in the roller tube. You will have to figure out how to run the wiring out there to operate it but it is an option and I am fairly sure you can get that stuff in multicolor as well.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote