View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Actually, other things that can be different unless specifically requested is the differential and the wheels and tires. If you go through the trouble of ordering the better differential and the overload spring hardware (it's more than just a leaf) you may as well purchase the F-350. Typically the wheels and tires on the F-250 may be lesser capacity, but you can order F-350 sized tires. Again if you do this get the F-350.

From what I've gone through, if you decide to make these upgrades, then get the F-350 which not only has all the hardware, but has the Vin sticker that provides for a higher weight.

I have added the necessary hardware to successfully convert my F-250 to an F-350 but I have not recertified the truck to complete the upgrade because it is NOT required and I decided not to pay for the effort to do this. It will be pricey and is done by an independent certification place.

I have learned to recommend to others not to mess with it and get the F-350. It's not worth the accidental discovery that you are overweight at the pin or the rear axle which are the most common problem areas for an F-250.

Regarding the fifth wheel tow weight, you'll find that the 15,700 or 15,800 lb weights aren't something you are gonna be able to approach. Let's say the F-350 has a CGVWR of 23,500. If you subtract 15,800 from 23,500 you get 7,700 lbs left over for your truck. My truck's curb weight is 8,120, not counting gear or the hitch. That means my fifth wheel can't ever weigh that much in the first place. All these weights must be factored into each other. It starts becoming a real balancing act when sticking to a 3/4 or even 1 ton. But if you want to stick to Single Rear Wheels it's what you've got to do. Beware these new Montys' gross weights are higher than their predecessors.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote