View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #20
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
generator at home for emergency use. 7500watt 10Kw surge.
I can run the hole house with the exception of the dishwasher. The circuit is more sensitive to the frequency. I have a fluke which measures frequency and an oscilloscope to measure the sine wave. I adjust the frequency to 60Hz and there are some spikes on the sign wave depending on surge demand.
The power company does supply 60 Hz but there are spikes, surges as well as brown outs, a voltage sag, This can last for milliseconds to seconds. Unless you monitor your power consistently. you will never know what you get at home. Campgrounds are much worse.
NOise is the biggest annoyances at a campground. The power quality is marginal at best at some campgrounds.
The classic Onan rv generator is lower RPM but still just induced voltage on a commentator and armature. Newer ones may be inverter technology. But the past 50 or 60 years has always been analog windings and not chopped AC.
There is a difference on true sign wave inverters vs chopped AC which looks like a Flat top at the peak vs a true sign wave (like you swing a jump rope) vs putting a box in between the rope. That is as basic as I can explain it.