View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #3
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I guess it all depends on how you use the generator. I ordered the 5500 Onan installed, it runs on propane. I have used it a few times, for convenience you can't beat it. But its just not practical , it burns too much propane too fast. you better have a good source close by if you plan on using it for any prolonged use.

I have been in a small RV park in Montana, where we have lost power for awhile, and I have used my Onan, and for a couple hours here and there its great, any other use where I know I am going to need a generator I take my Honda 2000.

If I do this again I will just go two Honda 2000's. I haul one now ,and the gas ,so its no big deal for me, when I know I am going to need to run a generator.
You hit it dead on. I have a 5500 and 7,000 watt Generac portable for home use and they are very expensive to operate. Sure the 5500 will run everything on the rv but at what cost. I bought a 2000 watt honda and just bought a 6 gallon extended fuel tank for my rv for emergencies along with some dry camping. If i need another generator then i can purchase the 2200 watt honda to have 2 together to run 1 a/c and it will still run much cheaper than anyone's 5500 watt generator. For less than 2500.00 you can get buy fairly comfortably with better quality and cheaper operating cost not counting a more quite operation.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote