View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Dexter Axle Suspension FAILURE on my 2019 Montana 3721RL Legacy

Today, 10:56 AM
My brand-new 2019 Montana with 1800 miles of travel experience awakened me at 6 AM with a big jolt and a "bang" type of sound. A thorough inspection of the interior and exterior revealed nothing damaged or out of place. A test of the slides revealed they were working normally. The hydraulic auto level was checked and seems to be working normally. I waited until daylight to inspect Under the trailer and I found one of the four Spring clips had failed. I called Dexter axle, my selling dealer, and Keystone customer service. Responses I got varied from "we are advising against taking the unit on a 1400 mile trip in this condition" to "get it fixed before you move the trailer". NOTE: I learned that Dexter also makes the leaf spring suspension for this trailer. Road Armor makes the block and shackle.

Should this require owners to inspect the suspension? Should Dexter initiate a recall?

Here is what Dexter Axle and Suspension wrote:
We would recommend replacing the clips with preferably hose clips as we had verbally discussed to prevent the spring leaves from spreading. Once the hose clips are installed you should be fine to tow your unit the 1400 miles with no problems. Once you get to a place where new leaf springs can be shipped simply contact us and confirm the shipping address where you would like the new leaf springs shipped. We will then make arrangements to get the old leaf springs back.
I have assigned our warranty claim number for the tracking of this reported problem. If you have any questions or if we can be of any further service please contact us.
Best Regards,
Connie Massie / Warranty Administrator
Dexter Axle Company - Corporate Headquarters
2900 Industrial Pkwy E., Elkhart, Indiana 46516, USA
cmassie@dexteraxle.com . Direct Tel: (574) 296-7301
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote