View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #39
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

You guys need to cut Keystone some slack here. They have no control over the conditions we pull these trailers in. Those conditions include potholes and crappy roads as well as people overloading the trailers and driving them well above the safe speed limits. While I'm not making excuses for Keystone or Lippert for that matter, I'm pointing out that every story has two sides.

The important fact is not every trailer suffers from frame flex, and Keystone / Montana is known for bending over backwards to fix those that have issues.
I would like to offer a slightly different view from yours. Keystone has the responsiblity to design and build RV's that will stand up to the road conditions we have in the US. If they don't, they are doing a diservice to their customers. Owner abuse excepted. But.... Keystone has had frame flex issues all the way back to at least the early 2000's including our 2006 3400RL. Our unit has not been abused but at the time of the frame flex showing up, it had about 13,000 miles on it. I suspect the real issue is that Keystone is building units that are expected to only have a few thousand miles on them in their useful lifetime. Not building them strong enough for more extensive usage. Keystone does not put a mileage limitation or road conditions limitation in their warranty statement or sales documents. Therefore heavy users are going to probably have to deal with many more problems than the typical weekend user that the Keystone trailers are built for. So the real problem is Keystone.
The same issue comes up everytime we discuss failures on Chinese made ST tires. Several members will say that the RV must have been overloaded, or going too fast or tire pressure too low. When in fact the real problem was a POS Chinese made tire.
So lets address the real problem and that is the RV hasn't been built to handle the rigors of roads that are encountered in some areas of the US. Having a good record of responding when there is a failure is admirable but I know most RV owners would have much preferred to have never had the problem to begin with. Building the RV right the first time is the only solution.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote