View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #24
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Well I spent some time today measuring and inspecting my 2012 – 3402RL, I have come to the conclusion that it is little wonder there are flex problems and broken welds and on and on.
My unit is basically empty, no clothing in the closet or drawers and nothing in the vanity so the only weight in the upper deck is the factory installed equipment.
There is a lot you cannot see when looking for possible problems, but I have taken the Lippert .png of their frame and identified the size of the main frame components. See picture below.

As you can see my main frame is 10” not 11 and certainly not 12. The drop in the frame then goes to 8” both I-Beam of course. The compartment for the generator and batteries is framed in 2 x 6” tubing and 2 x 3" tubing. On the top front of this compartment is a 2 x 3" tube extending beyond the compartment to the width of the tank compartment. In the same place on the top rear of the main compartment it appears to only be 2 x 3 light wall channel.
The 2 x 6” tubing that extends out to support the upper deck consists of only the two pieces that are attached to,and welded to the 2 x 3. This deck has only 1 x 1 tubing running from the back of the compartment to the rear pin box support. There are no 2 x 6 “studs” (for lack of a better word)running toward the pin box except the one on each side.
I am not exactly sure how the 2 x 6 attaches at the back of the compartment but on the front it sits on that piss ass 2 x 3 and is welded to that. See next picture.

This picture shows where the upper deck frame is welded and supported and I have put a line to where I think the most likely flex point would be. Now there is lots of potential for flex in other area's as well but to me this is just designed to fail. I am not a professional welder but I have done a fair bit in my day, and I have never seen such crap welds in all my life. It is little wonder they are a problem area, contrary to what the factory might have us all believe.

I also today took the measurements as prescribed in Lipperts instructions and I have 1/4" of flex with no additional weight in my upper deck area. What kind of flex will I have when loaded and go over some of those lovely dips on the interstate, the vision scares the heck out of me, especially after seeing what little support there is for the upper deck and seeing the unacceptable welding.

At 75g the Montana is not an entry level RV. I am very upset with what I am finding with this unit and to learn I am not alone in what I have found.

I would love to have had the opportunity to visit the factory prior to buying my Montana. A lot of time is spent on displaying and exhorting the things that dress them up, but what about that which we cannot see. Now where to go from here.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote