View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I thought about it, but decided I would rather have the upgraded pipe installed.
It could be changed on the road if necessary. It probably took about an hour, no special tools, I think I just needed a deep socket. It is tight quarters getting it on and might not be fun with a hot engine.
I got really lucky and had been carrying a new OEM pipe for about 4 months in the rig when mine let go on a Friday afternoon in 5 o'clock traffic on the interstate. A buddy of mine had his grenade and that coaxed me into getting the spare. Mine is a '13 however and yes, it's a bit uncomfortable on the side of the interstate with a hot engine, but a 7/16" deep well and 8" extension and a pair of needle nose pliers did the trick. As far as the '17 goes. the buddy I have to thank for pressuring me to get a spare, bought a '17 and yep, they are still plastic and will grenade as well. One of the first mods hi did was the H&S CAC pipe. By the way, the H&S is what I have on mine as I changed it a week or so after arriving at my door. I've done three other camping buddy's trucks since. All with H&S.