Thread: wet shackles
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 04:42 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With all due respect and appreciation for the information, Aram's explanation is good information but to have any faith in it I need to know one thing: Is Keystone using the same bushing on the 2007 Montanas as were used on the 2003's? If so, then I cannot put much faith in the statements. The reason is we had a failure of those bushings at roughly 30,000 miles. Others here have had failures, too, some with fewer miles than we had, some with more.

Here's a few pictures to punctuate my concerns. I saved these after providing them to Aram's predecessor. Userid is provided with each picture. I know Aram was not involved with Montana when these problems surfaced so he may not be aware of this. If the bushings are better today, then Aram's statement would provide a level of comfort.

Blarkman, somewhere in one of our manuals (the axle manual, I think) it does say these need to be retorqued periodically and it gives torque values. That's on a 2007. I don't know about prior years.

The easiest way to see wear is to unscrew the nut on each bolt enough to see behind it. On mine, I didn't even have to do that.

Gruffy

drhowell

sreigle

patodonn

azstar

Those plastic looking parts at the bottom are a bushing.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote