View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's a great question. What I do is take them out of the truck, set them down by the plug, then start them up and plug them in. We don't go anywhere when they are there to keep them "safe". I've only used them twice while in a campground when our campsites had some power issues. It was for no longer than 2-3 hours at the longest. One of these days I'll need them longer and will add a larger fuel reservoir to increase run time and some major chains and locks for security.

Some people do run them from the truck, just park on the back of the rig for the cord to reach until they need to go away, then they just unplug and go. Others have created some significant metal plates and hardware to keep them secure so they can leave them there to keep the A/C or other 110v things in the rig going. I hope you hear of other options because there are some.

I have been known to run some pretty long water supply lines and I can also run some pretty long sewer lines, but I try not to run long power lines (just the one 25-30 foot cord, since there is a long run from the rear of the trailer to the electrical panel already). Others braver than me do run longer power cords and might be able to comment more on this, regarding how to keep the power from dropping if the lines are long.

In case you're curious, a generator in the front of the rig gets tapped into the electric box toward the front of the rig and usually does not have to plug in at the rear connector. That keeps the cord short.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote