View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #32
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Montana Man, it's not just the 6.0, it's all modern diesels. Awhile back I posted on one of the largest Rv forms. I asked who has a 2017 or newer diesel with a hundred thousand miles that hasn't had an expensive powertrain repair. Out of apx 60 replies, I think their were only 2 or 3 respondents who said that they had not. The modern diesel is plagued by two problems that currently have no easy fix. The first and foremost is the pollution controls and the second is the close tolerances of the fuel injection system vs the poor quality of diesel fuel. These issues are much easier alleviated with a gas engine. I said that if a gas engine could hit 75% of a diesels performance, and that would include fuel economy, that it would be a viable option. Right now regular is 27 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel. I've read enough post on fuel economy to see that 10 mpg is pretty normal for pulling the weight of most Montanas. At the current cost of 246 for diesel it will cost you $246 dollars to go 1,000 miles vs. $291 on gas, a difference of $45. You are going to have to drive a lot of miles to pay off that 10,000 diesel option. Now, can that engine be built? Sure, but will it? Probably not. I don't think that there is enough customers to offset the development costs, plus it would just take away the high profit diesel sales. Perhaps a better and more economical path would be a mid size V-8 With electric assist. As I mentioned previously, even my 6.0 had plenty of power except for high mountain driving, and electric assist could provide that reserve.
That gasoline engine would be easy to build. Ford would call it an Ecoboost. I have a 2.7 Ecoboost with 325 Hp and 400 TK the 3.5 Ecoboost has 450 HP and 510 TK up it to 6 or 6.5 and you would have a pulling machine. Max torque comes at around 2500 RPMs and you have over 90% of torque from under 2000 RPMs all the way to 5000 RPMs. My F150 averages over 22 MPH. The Ecoboost engines take your pick Eco or Boost but you can’t have both.

If someone would build it I’d be the first in line to get one. Until then I’ll just stick with my tuned 6.4 with 600 HP and 1100 TK.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote