View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
HAHA - All those newfangled toys in your truck and you still have a "Bic Lighter on Console"? What, no cigarette lighter?

Anyway, my experience is that MapQuest sucks - always has, always will. Google maps is not much better but it is better.

I used Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator 2008 and it followed your "Good am?" plan, but I had to specify stay off minor highways. Microsoft Streets and Trips plotted the same thing by default. I think the consensus is that Mapquest sucks. Mapquest likes to use the shortest route no matter what (it would probably send you through alleyways if they were mappable).

I have been on the I-90 from Yellowstone and the Custer National monument eastward bound to Devil's tower and the terrain tends to flatten out on the eastern side of Wyoming, so I think your planned route should be good.

According to TLDCN2008 you start out about 6000ft in Cheyenne, then eventually drop to 4900 to 4500 when you get past Douglas, Wyoming (about 130 miles from Cheyenne) as you turn off to the 59, then stay in the 4000 ft level all the way to Devil's Tower. There will be some >6% grades (up and down) on I-90 prior to taking the turnoff to Devil's Tower, but otherwise should be good.

Devil's Tower is AWESOME! Definitely in the "How'd they do that?" category. Take some strong binoculars or telephoto lense and count the climbers ALL around the Tower.

Let me know how your trip turns out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote