Thread: How Tall
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #18
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsco View Post
We just upgraded from a F250 to a F350 so we don't have the hitch installed in the bed yet but I have the concern that my 3121RL will be riding high. I can raise the pin box one setting to help lower it some but the sides of the 350 do seem higher than our old 250. Should have thought about all this before buying. Didn't think it would be an issue until I started reading this thread. What is a good distance from the top of the bedrail to the bottom of the 5th wheel when hooked up?

6" is the minimum I will go. I've been pulling 5ers for 15 years and have actually hit the tailgate with the overhang of the 5er at 6". It was pulling into a gas station with an incline and right hand turn. The truck leveled out on top of the small incline but the 5er wheels were still well down the incline. It made contact and put deep gouges into the tailgate cover and broke the trim on the bottom of the 5er. Damage was minimal but still made me much more aware of short inclines especially with a turn at top.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote