View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Just lost my closet rod on my 2005 2980 traveling from the west cast to the east coast. The potholes are terrible on I-90 & I-80. Bridges are the worst I have seen. The truck & the RV took a pounding. I was not surprised to see something give. It is really inconvenient when some thing like this breaks when you are on the road. The passenger side wall bracket cracked, causing the next shelf bracket to pull out, and the rod bent at the next bracket. I realize Keystone is not responsible for the road conditions, but I would think they would anticipate this issue and design a better support system. I purchased two electrical conduit hanging brackets and fastened them on each end of the rod and into the shelf after I laid in 1" X 3" boards, bought new wall brackets that were near impossible to find with a 1" opening. I also put 1/2" aluminum conduit inside the existing rod and wrapped some tape around the aluminum pipe in several areas to makeup for the different size. I am not confident that the problem is really solved, so before I hit the road I plan to make some wood braces to prop up the rod when I am on the road. Seems Keystone could run wood braces down each wall to the floor to add support to the ends of the rod and one in the center fastened to the shelf and the floor, a project I plan to do when I get home in Oct.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote