View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Judy,

For starters, we are at Goosenecks SP near Mexican Hat, UT. We've been boondocking here for 10 days, and have resources to stay a few more days. Will PM you with the Google Earth Placemark.

The state park has some tables, but there are lots of people who come daily to look over the edge at the river. We moved down the road a ways and can see the beautiful San Juan River almost 1000 feet below out our back window and the side windows. Did I mention that it is free?...and has a pit toilet if you wanted. There is plenty of space for Greta to run without the leash....and without disturbing others.

Six miles away is Muley Point, just beautiful, but not a place to drive the Monty (SR 260), nice for a day trip. Also, nearby is the 17-mile road "Valley of the Gods". We drove that yesterday, and there are several places there that we could dry camp....maybe next time.

In 10 days, we have had 4 vehicles drive by our site....just a wonderful place.....make sure you are fully stocked with groceries etc if you are planning to stay here. Mexican Hat, UT and Bluff, UT do not have grocery stores...they do have gas and fuel. Our freezer is getting empty...

One real nice place to BD is on the Colorado River near Moab, on SR 128. There are several established river spots (free) on BLM land. We have maps that show the BLM land. BLM land is fair game for free camping unless posted. We found that BENCHMARK maps for each state are invaluable tools, even better than the internet for showing BLM land, and primitive roads. We have several of these books for various states, including Utah. Benchmark maps can be found at some Wal-Marts. Amazon also has the great maps. Do NOT buy the DeLorme, they are junk in comparison...we've tried both.

Hope this is of some help. There are so many nice spots to BD, I could go on and on.....and bore the entire forum. Utah has been our favorite place for camping for many years, it is so luxurious to have a fifth-wheel instead of a tent.

PM me if you want more information, we can be a whole lot more specific.

Hi Glen!

Robbie (and Alice)
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote