View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #25
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

I did some reading and phoned my friend who maintains diesel generating stations. If I understand things correctly, John has it spot on. Your 50 amp plug/cable gives you two circuits at 120 volts 50 amps each. Notice the 3 blades and the round ground on the plug. Use a 30 amp adapter and you are only getting one at 30 amps from the plug but this is being fed to the two circuits in your 50 amp cable. Notice that it only has two blades and a round ground on the plug. Plug the "Cheater" into two SEPARATE 30 amp circuits you get two 120 volt circuits at 30 amps each because it is wired to match your 50 amp cable so these are delivered separately through the cable. Plug it into a 20 and a 30 and you get one 20 circuit and one 30 again fed to the two separate circuits in your cable. Have I got it now??
Wouldnt 2 50 amp leads be a 100 amp service? I think its more likely 2 25 amp leads. I know Ive got a 50 amp breaker here at home for the 5er and its a double pole breaker, 25 amps on each leg.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote