Thread: Auto former
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #43
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Glenn, unless I'm mistaken (Fulltimedreamer could clear this up), this setup has two twist plugs, one on either side of the autoformer, that he can quickly, and easily, unplug... and then reconnect the plugs together (one is male, the other female), bypassing the autoformer.

Maybe it's not as easy to change this back and forth as my impression was, though. Where are you, Lamar? I know you're a busy guy.
You are correct but they are not "twist" but rather the standard 3 prong 30 AMP male on the end of a short cord and 30 AMP female socket on the Autoformer itself. Autoformer would have you plug their box into the CG's electric and the trailers cord into the Autoformer.

I kinda sorta modified my trailers cord. I measured out 48 inchs from the twist plug on the 30AMP cord that came with the trailer and cut it. At this point I added a 30AMP male which can be plugged directly into the 30AMP female on the Autoformer. I than added a 30AMP female to the remaining cord. The Autoformer's 30AMP mail will plug into that female and that cord will continue to the CG's electric. If I am not using the Autoformer I merely plug the trailers cord back together.
By doing this I can place the Autoformer under the trailer and still reach the CG's electric.
I believe the 50AMP is the same with 50AMP M/F plugs

One other point when buying the Autoformer. Also buy a length of chain and a padlock. The chain goes through the handle of the Autoformer and through the trailers rear stabilizer and is locked. This keeps the Autoformer on a leash so that it can't stray off during the night.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote