View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We just finished the trip this year and we went up the western side, Salt Lake, Idaho Falls and stayed at Valley View RV Park in Island Park, which is 14 miles from the West entrance of the park. It wasn't much on amenities, then we were gone everyday and just needed a place to sleep basically. Cost: $20.00/night, This was the Passport America price. We found that this was a good place to base as we wanted to see the Grand Tetons and some areas on the west side of the park. We drove in and around Fishing Bridge park and considered it too small for us. I'm sure it could be done, but as fulltimers we enjoy our space and there certainly wasn't much there.....

We departed the park through the East entrance and was rewarded with a beauty that I hadn't seen and that was the Shoshone National Forest. Don't hesitate to use the east entrance as it was a great ride. If weather is iffy, it could be rough.

I usually try to keep under 200 miles a day but that is just my preference. I like to arrive with plenty of daylight left to enjoy the park if possible...My lifestyle, as a fulltimer, is somewhat different than most, in that we are never in a hurry to get anywhere, sometimes the smallest towns can provide the greatest luxury....Read: Peace and tranquility...

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip, no matter where you stay as YNP is truly magnificent, However, I did get tired of the bison blocking the road for us. While there be sure to watch closely for people in front of you spotting wildlife and pulling off the road sharply for pictures. I even did it a few times myself.......I think that is part of the total experience....

Oh! BTW there is a park in West Yellowstone, the city, called Grizzlie RV Park. Very nice park but was $58.00 night. Very close to west entrance but out of our price range....

Have a great time......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote