Thread: Pulling in CA
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #37
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
I just drove I-5 north from Bakersfield a few days ago. That stretch was pretty much all repaved 3-4 years ago but, due to the heavy truck traffic, it is starting to show some wear. The trick is to straddle the white line if traffic is light. Otherwise, run with your tires on the right-hand fog line and you will miss most of the damage.

On the subject of the 55 MPH speed limit, I have been towing in CA for 50+ years. You are safe at speeds up to 62 MPH or so. Try to flow with the trucks as they know what works. The Fed-Ex guys are the best. They push the allowable limit constantly. The CHP occasionally executes a "Zero Tolerance Policy" exercise and then they will ticket anything over 55 MPH. If the truckers are slowed to 55, you had better do likewise.
I totally agree with you and this applies to ANY state! Going with the flow of the professional truck drivers (at least the ones that are driving smart) is the best way to go.

I always make it a habit to get between a couple of good truckers, get a little front cushion and relax in the "rocking chair". If EVERYONE would drive with the FLOW of the traffic at the same speed (regardless of the speed limit) and with a little safety cushion we would all be much safer. But alas there are simply to many idiots out there that think they are Mario Andretti or want to drive way to slow (particularly in the passing lane).....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys