View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

As Walt mentioned, why did Keystone put the shore power connector in the very back when it requires the manufacturer to double the electrical run internally in the belly of the beast to connect to the converter and circuit breakers for all the monty 110v outlets? Having one on the side would make a lot more sense and sounds like a future project for me. WARNING!! If someone out there does this or has done it...and kept the original one intact/live on the back; make sure to insert a dummy plug in the unused one to eliminate any shock hazard. John
I can think of a few reasons they put the plug where they did, and most deal with the slides. Think about it for a minute, the walls on these units are too small for the receptacle, requiring it be placed somewhere that has space behind it. Mounting it in a slide isn't practical because you don't want to flex the cord a lot because copper is work hardening, meaning you bend it a few times, it gets brittle and breaks. The space between the slides, as I pointed out are pretty thin. If you lowered the receptacle, so the wire behind it runs under the floor (like it does where it is currently mounted), you'd have to mount it in that flimsy aluminum sheeting, which would flex and bend every time you plugged in or unplugged. Both of these obstacles may be overcome, depending on the unit, if you could find a spot between the slides that had a hollow place behind it deep enough for the plug and wire that comes out of it, but it would have to be done differently on each model.

Mounting it in the front would be an option, but up there, the plug would be subjected to a continuous bath, and therefore corrosion, when you were pulling in the rain, just asking for trouble.

In summation, I believe they put it in the back because it was the path of least resistance (electricians like Jim and Country Guy, please excuse the pun ) for manufacturing purposes.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote