View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #11
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Jim,

Since you have the 6-point level up, the best time to check the level of the fluid is when it is hooked to your truck with all legs up and the rooms all in. If you need to, add enough Dexron/Dexron III or, Mercon/Mercon 5 to the tank to take itup to 1" or 3/4" from the fill cap. It may be possible that the fluid you are pouring in is a different color than what may be already in the tank. That's OK, it is only a red dye. At that point, use a black permanent marker to draw a line at that level. Later, when you have the unit set up on the leveling jacks and the rooms extended, draw another black line where the fluid level is. Now, you have a gage whether or not you may have a leak. No matter what position the rooms or jacks are in, if the fluid level is below either black line, there may be a leak. But, be mindful of what position everything is in.

For example: you may have the rooms extended and the front jacks on the ground but, the leveling system isn't in use. That fluid level most likely is not going to be at the bottom line. On the otherhand, you may have the unit set-up on an uneven lot that requires some of the leveling legs to extended further than they may normally. The fluid line may be lower than the bottom black line on the tank. Don't become too alarmed at this point. The hydraulic system may be using more fluid from the reservoir to operate as it needs to.

I also read something in this thread about changing the fluid. Unless Lippert is doing something completely different than they use to from when I worked there.......and they could be, my thought is that this would be impossible to do. First, how are you going to accomplish that when a good percentage of fluid will remain the pump, hoses and cylinder tubs? And, how are you going to empty the reservoir? Is there a drain plug in it somewhere? Just asking!

I hope this easy for everyone to understand and, if there are any questions or corrections, please let me know because, I do misunderstand things at times.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote