Thread: Wet bolts
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If it were me, I would not bother with the wet bolts unless I was also replacing the OEM shackles with the Heavy duty shackles. The reasons have been discussed at length in past posts, some by me, some by others.

It sounds like that if the bolts are the right length to handle the thicker shackles, all you would need to do is buy 8 pairs of shackles to go with the bolt and bushing kit.

When I did my first shackle job on my 2003 Big Sky, I bought and installed a kit that included all the wet bolts and bushings needed plus new equalizers with zerks.

My 2008 Big Sky came with the Mor/Ryde RE equalizer, so when I did a shackle job on it, The kit purchased from Mor/ryde came with all the bolts, bushings and modified Mor/Ryde parts to handle the wet bolts at the equalizer.

I helped a fellow MOCer install a kit that included a shock absorbing equalizer designed to be used with wet bolts. So when one talks about "kits", it is easy to get misinformation or misunderstand whether it is an "apple or an orange."

If one has a tandem wheel system, before you contact a tech or salesman, there are some things you need to be able to tell him.
  • Distance between the axles
  • What kind of equalizing mechanism you have, i.e, standard equalizer, or some brand of shock absorbing equalizer?
  • Are you looking for heavy duty shackles or OEM shackles?
  • Do you want to upgrade your equalizer?
I find you often have to work to make sure that the tech or salesperson listens to what you are saying instead of making assumptions.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote