View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #45
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Rainer a very good starting point would be to determine what if any rules/laws govern the RV industry with respect to tires and axles.

I think in these forums we see the significant disparity between ST and LT tire failures because what we are talking about is what is on our RV's. I believe we would see close to, if not the same amount of failures if all RV's were equipped with LT tires that were not capable of carrying the loads applied to them.

If RV manufacturers were required to provide the same or greater "load capacity reserve" as passenger vehicle manufacturers are, based on the Maximum capacity at maximum inflation DOT rating on the tire, then a Goodyear Marathon would only be able to be rated on the VIN sticker at 3052 lbs (3420/1.12 or 88%) That would barely satisfy the weight rating on a 6k axle and not even come close on a 7k axle.

I think the problem is in regulation, and there does not appear to be any, or at least I have not been able to find any reference to any (other than tire/axle rating regulations).

I for one will be very interested in your findings and progress. Let the assault begin.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote