View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 12:28 AM   #18
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
I banged my head so many times I lost count. It's only natural to be looking down at the steps while going up them. I got tired of inventing new words every time I banged my head so...

I installed a magnetic proximity switch at the top, inside of the cabinet so that when you open the cabinet door a VERY BRIGHT FLASHING light turns on that you can't possibly miss. The light, which is a 12 volt "center brake light" for a car, is mounted behind the wooden slats in the second stair riser. You can't see it when it's off - the spaces between the slats just turn to black. But when it's on - it's so bright, it illuminates the first stair also! The light flashes at a very "urgent" looking 3/second rate - very attention getting. It turns off when the cabinet is closed. It runs on 12 volts - I just grabbed 12 volts from the circuit breaker/low voltage distribution box next to the stairs. The wiring runs up inside the adjacent wall. Nothing is seen normally except the magnetic switch (and the warning light) when the cabinet door is open.

Problem solved. I haven't banged my head at all since it was installed about a year and a half ago. However, the light has stopped me short MANY times. No new words.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote