Thread: Towing speed
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #64
drog55chev
Established Member

M.O.C. #24480
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
The older I get, the faster I was. 62-65 is my max unless I'm in a real hurry. Truck seems to like running at that speed and it keeps me a little calmer. Anything faster and fuel mileage drops rapidly. Secondary roads I'll run 50-55 and enjoy the scenery; anyone that wants to pass has my blessing and I'll use turn outs if there are three or more behind me.
I'm kind of this way too since I've gotten older. I use to race modified custom and enjoyed speed. However getting older and pulling these big rigs is much difference. 65 is about my top speed too on interstates but sometimes it creeps up. It does depend on the road, the conditions, etc. Sometimes I like getting behind a loaded semi that is going slow up a hill so I have an excuse to go slower. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I get a little nervous when traffic starts backing up behind me and trying to find a place to pull over so they can pass. I wish that everyone that gets a license would also have to pull a larger trailer first. It may make them realize how hard it is to stop or maneuver.

I'll post a link here and it's hard to watch seeing a Montana on it's side. This happened in Washington this year and I don't know the circumstances. Could of had to swerve to avoid something and once the ass end starts oscillating over you go. The tow company said he was going to fast and that may be the case seeing the 20MPH sign on the corner he flipped on. I wanted to post this because many people may not know how top heavy these larger 5ths are. Wind, rain, speed, corners, etc. and over they go. I've gotten into some high winds before and I slow way down or even pull off the road for awhile. It's just not worth it.

drog55chev is offline   Reply With Quote