View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #27
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250

Just finished installing carpet sliders like Jwedell did. As a novice handyman I will tell you how I did it and what big mistake I made. Cost was approx $25 per recliner. OSH has precut 24" x 3/4 plywood circles. Used like Jwedell, 6ea 8 1/4 in.(slide glide furniture glides) also from OSH. Used 1/4-20 1 1/2 inch long bolts and nuts to fasten plywood to slider circular base. Used 1" wood screws to mount sliders to plywood. One screw at each end of slider. Removed circular base from recliner and assembled plywood and sliders. Went to mount back on recliner and there was not room to get tools or my hand underneath the recliner to fasten down bolts. After many *** words and skinned hands I managed to secure the base. 2nd recliner removed circular base, mounted plywood and sliders and then marked everything as to what went where. Disassembled and reinstalled circular base to recliner. As easy as taking it apart. Then mounted plywood and sliders back on to recliner base. D.W. can now slide the recliners with one hand. I recommend Jwedell's method to all who have difficultly moving the recliners. Thanks John. Have not sit in it yet to see if I go shooting across the carpet.... Don't think it will happen. Hope I did these picture correctly by Tiny Pics. May not be in right order. Picture one circular base from recliner with mounting holes drilled for 1/4-20 bolts. Picture 2 plywood mounted to base. Picture 3 plywood painted. Note counter bore holes for hex head bolts. Picture 4, 6 sliders mounted to plywood.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/x413x3.jpg[/I
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote