View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kjchamberlain1

I don't know if this will answer your question but we ran across the same problem with the 50 amp wire we got with our camper in cold weather the wire was hard to bend, so we were talking to a welding guy and he told us to purchase welding electrical wire by the foot, called 4 in 1 and then my husband added the 50amp male and female ends just like the original. You can get the 50 amp male and female ends at a Camping store and the welding wire can be picked up at a welder shop it is sold by the foot we got 50ft. It was well worth it. Now when we go camping in cold weather that wire is so bendable and easy to pick up and store away.
I just don't know why Keystone didn't think of this.
Welder wire is flexible because it is made up of a lot of very fine copper wires, whereas the wire in our cords is single strand. The outer coating is also very soft, but that makes it more prone to cuts, while the coatings on the regular power cord are a lot more durable and will take a ton of abuse. Power cords get stiffer in cold weather because of the coverings, not because of the wire. The reason Keystone doesn't offer it is probably cost. Stranded wire is more expensive, and by the time Keystone wrapped it in a durable sheathing, it would probably be just as stiff. especially in colder weather. I tried to coil our power cord in 20 degree weather at Yellowstone and it was real #^&%$%(@!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote