View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Another thing you want to watch out for when you go into campgrounds is the receptacle in the CG power pedestal. If it is the slightest bit charred, don't plug in. Many campers never turn off the breaker when they are unplugging or plugging in. This often causes arcing (which you may or may not see). Also, I caution everyone who plugs in to any source of power to make sure the terminals on their cables are clean (I keep mine clean with emery cloth, sharp knife, or steel wool) and the connections are maintained tight. If there is looseness in the connection, heat builds up. That's why it is recommended that you use as few connections (cables, adapters, autoformers, surge guards, etc.) as necessary. Every connection is subject to heating.

Additionally, as a precaution, I periodically check all my neutral connections in my converter box. If a neutral becomes loose, heat will be created. Working with the Escapees RV Club, we have run into just about every electrical problem you can think of. We had one circuit breaker panel that had a loose neutral connection that burned up all the neutral connections in the panel.

I had a Surge Guard that had to have both the male and female plugs replaced because of some bad connections. Just my experiences.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote