View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
I have a 3500 and a HC305RL. We love the floor plan, by the way!

I agree with jlb27537, you need to carefully calculate your pin weight. That's where you'll max out first. You're going to be real close, if not over your pin weight. Figure in your tools, fuel, firewood, people, pets, bikes, generator, anything you would carry in the truck along with the trailer.

As far as getting into parks, we do the same type of camping you do. We prefer a more "rustic" campsite, and rarely go to private CGs unless necessary. There are only a few times we have been shut out of a campground because the sites are not long enough, however, sometimes we have to settle for a less desirable site. This happens more often in certain parts of the country. Of ALL the sites in a CG, at 34' long, we can get into 90% of the sites in the South, 70% of them in the North and mid-West, 30% in the North Atlantic States, and about 40-50% in the West. We stay mostly in Corp of Engineers Parks and National Forest Service Parks. When we do have to stay in private CGs, it's about 95%.

As far as 4wd, it's a personal choice. If you have it, you'll be less afraid to travel down that grassy slope or gravel hill pulling your trailer! I've had both 2WD and 4WD, and won't have another truck without 4WD, but that's just me. By the way, 4WD will reduce your pin weight and tow capacity because of the additional weight of the 4WD.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote