View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
[QUOTE=Mikendebbie;1092666]You can camp out and/or drive on the gulf beaches pretty much from south of Corpus Christi to Port Aransas. I am not familiar with the beaches around Galveston. There are multiple beach access roads along the way. A few sections are blocked off and you can’t get thru. You will need a beach pass sticker on your vehicle windshield from the county. You can buy them for maybe $12 or at any grocery store or gas station. I have seen the beaches wall to wall humanity for July 4th - campers, tents, cars and canopies galore. Based on how much sand and salt gets inside my truck when we back up to the surf and pitch a canopy for the day - I wonder how much sand gets into those RVs belonging to the folks that are hearty enough to attempt camping out. I can attest to the fact that the darn sand gets into everything! I would never take any of our past or present nice campers out on the beach. I would want to have a used “junker” I fixed up that was reserved for our beach camping.[/QUOT

Ok this is something I know about. You can’t drive on beaches on Galveston island proper. That is why all the college kids from Houston take the ferry across to Bolivar where I used to live. You can drive on the beach there. However, l’m not sure what the camping rules are for more than day use and like others have suggested, a heavy tow truck and camper is NOT a good idea on a soft sandy beach!!!!

It has also been several years and a couple of major storms since I was there. Bolivar may not be what it once was......

And sand into everything yep that is true for sure!!!! And then there is the salty air being highly corrosive to anything metal!! Be sure to rinse your camper reaaaallllllyyyyy good after you leave the beach area!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote