Thread: Battery Issue
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Oldsoldier
Established Member

M.O.C. #20018
Batteries charge from converters

I assume you have a modern, 5th wheel Keystone Montans since you are on this site. I'm new to MNontana, but owned a Keystone Cougar plus other brands for years. You should have a Converter, not an Inverter in your camper. A Converter converts 110/220 volts down to 12 volt to power any 12 volt needs in the camper; an Inverter draws 12 volt power from your batteries and converts it to 110/220 volts) The Converter, hidden away near your fuze panel, charges the battery(ies) when hooked up to shore power. I realize many new rigs have inverters, especially to power residential style appliances. (Personally, I find that extremely bad thinking...especially when you camnp wioth unreliabnle shore power). But your Inverter won't charge your battery(ies): it functioins to only drain your battery(ies). Inverters are fine for certain applications, especially dry camping, but they necessitate shore power, hookup to your vehicle (while depleting the truck's battery), and/or a generator and/or solar charging system. Assuming you have a Converter (possibly with an Inverter included), your batteries will charge while plugged in to shore power. If not, you have a malfunctioning Converter or possibly a bad wiring issue. A Converter is essentially a "smart charger" battery charger with three output designs. If you have to plug in a battery charger (which means you are connected to shore power, solar panel, or a generator) your Converter is not working right. Also: have you checked your batery(ies)? If you leave a camper plugged in for weeks or months straight, you can damage normal batteries, although a properly
functioning Converter should reduce the problem. Going to a gel battery is a good idea, as well. The main reason we bought our 2018 High Country 310re was because it did NOT have residential appliances and did not use an Inverter. If you aren't experienced with camper electrical designs, go to Vintage Trailer Supply online. They sell an excellent book on 12 volt electrical applications. It covers 12 volt in depth, but also covers 110/220, solar, generators, etc. An outstanding reference book for your home library, it focuses on campers and sail boats. When I jerked the 15 amp system out of my 1964 Fireball camper to install a 30 amp systerm with nine, 12 volt interior circuits, it was the best $20 I ever spent!
Oldsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote