View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
When you say you have voltage on both wires of the kitchen light and the wires are the same color, my first thought is how are you measuring this? If you are using a digital voltmeter set to something higher than the 12vdc scale and see, as an example, 12.8vdc no matter which way you hook up the meter leads...this is normal. The meter will say -12vdc one way and +12vdc the other. It is easy to miss seeing the polarity indicator on the meter readout. If you take the ground lead and connect it to an actual metal ground and take the positive lead to one side of the light bulb socket...there would be 0vdc on the actual ground side of the socket while the other would indicate plus volts dc. So, I guess we need to know more about what type of kitchen light is in your trailer, what type of meter you are using and its settings, and how you are making these measurements. Bad form to montana on having the same color code on the wires at the light. IF...IF you are measuring and saying that the wire colors are the same on the switch...this is normal as what is being done is +12vdc goes to the switch terminal and the other side of the switch is the continuation of the +12vdc wiring to one side of the light. Actual ground wire will be the other side of the light socket and will be routed back to the central ground connections on the converter. John