Thread: Tank Heaters
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I had tank heaters on my previous SOB and they were great, that unit also had the completely covered underbelly and the furnace also vented into the underbelly. If I were likely to be camping in colder weather I would now install them on my Montana. If you open up the basement wall and look at the perhaps 2" flex pipe that is supposed to keep your tanks and lines from freezing you will see that it really is not adequate and almost impossible to get much if any warm air to the rear of the unit where my fresh water tank is located.

Compared to my SOB the "Artic Package" on the Montana leaves a lot to be desired. I lived in Northern Canada in a mobile home when younger and know how hard it is to keep things from freezing under there. The tank heaters are added insurance, it is up to you to decide if the price is worthwhile. Some folks run their furnaces while traveling in the belief that will prevent freezing, have a look at how much warm air goes into the underbelly and how much cold air can get in around the not completely closed in area's of the underbelly and you will quickly see the only thing that is doing is wasting propane, not to mention the drain on your batteries.

I would not run water all night as that might freeze up your sewer drain line unless it is also insulated to the sewer connection.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote