View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
You stated your truck has 3658 of available payload, subtract weight of passengers (not the driver), subtract the weight of your hitch, subtract the weight of all the cargo you plan to carry in the truck, this will give you what is left for the trailer pin weight. You trailer published pin weight is 2300 but depending on how much you load your trailer you could add roughly 20% of the trailer cargo capacity which means 20% of 3265 lbs or upto 653 lbs added to your hitch. Thinking about adding other options onto your trailer? That weight will be included in your cargo number and will also add to your pin weight and the same time reducing what you can carry in the way of gear or food.

So let's look at a sample case

your stated truck payload 3265 lbs less
one passenger 150lbs (industry std for determining average weight)
hitch 150 lbs (some higher, some lower)
gear carried in the bed or cab of the truck 300 lbs
trailer empty pin weight 2300 lbs (as stated by you)
cargo carried in the trailer at 20% (2000 of gear for moderate RV use) = 400 lbs of pin weight carried by the truck.
TOTAL 150+150+300+2300+400=3300 lbs or 35 lbs over your stated truck payload.
If you use the RV for more like full timing or extended travel those numbers will get even worse. If you have other passengers, pets, heavier hitch, more gear in the truck bed it all adds up.

Others will tell you their 2500 tows just fine. But you are potentially over... by the numbers. Your call on whether you want to do something about it. I'd recommend a 3500 diesel at a minimum, JMHO. You might get away with a gas engine but you'll have lousy MPGs and a motor that will struggle with the weight but you save the money on the diesel upgrade. Again your call, I still recommend the diesel option.

One last thing, you will run out of truck payload 99% of the time before you run out of CGVWR.

On edit, the payload capacity seems suspect. The highest number I can find is 3158 lbs which puts you over even more than my preliminary "guess-timate" Even a 3500 SRW might be pushing the envelope (again by the numbers only)

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote