View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #85
dvines
Established Member

M.O.C. #21453
Been there too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bo View Post
You're the first to actually give me some hope. Others on other forums are tearing me up. My concern was the payload on my truck is 2,270lbs. The hitch weight is 500lbs over that.
I made the exact same mistake . . . bought a new truck THEN realized after reading the forums that I would be way over GVWR. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 w/ manual XSMN. I tow a 2018 HC 321MK. I went with the HC because of the lower weight. I went to the scale last week (loaded RV w/full fuel). The rear axle weight is 5680. The empty weight at rear axle is 3040. The max rear axle weight is 6500. So, doing the math, after I subtract my 300# hitch, my hitch weight is 2340#. Based on my reading, the number I was told to never exceed was the max rear axle weight and tire load capacity. As I said earlier, my max rear axle weight is 6500#, so with the RV connected, I am still 820# under the max axle weight (tire capacity is not an issue). I added SuperCoils to the rear suspension so there is no sag at all. I have only towed about 3000 miles and so far, no issues. Yes, I am over GVWR by about 700#. I can live with that. Of course, I just added a 46 aux fuel tank so that will put me a little over 1K#. You have more trailer than me PLUS your rear axle max weight is 6000#. A lot to think about. Good luck and be safe
dvines is offline   Reply With Quote