View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #28
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

[...]

Another question about ST vs LT. I learned the hard way mixing load ranges on the same axle can throw the axle out of alignment (cost me $150 to realign). I wonder if the differences between ST and LT might do the same? To be safe, I will always make sure to have identical tires on both ends of an axle. That means I will have to have five identical (size, type, load range) so I never have to cause a mismatch with the spare. Or carry two spares (not).
I don't think I would mix tires of any type on the same axle. Too much riding on them (literally!) to make it worth the risk.

That said, besides the extra compound (I want to think it is carbon black) I really don't know what is different between an ST tire and anything else.

What would really be nice is to change the wheels and hubs on the Montana to match the lug pattern on our trucks and run the same size tire. That way, we could swap spares around if needed. Too many $$$ for the convenience at this point in time. However, If I were to ever change to electric over hydraulic brakes (which would require changing out the hubs on the axles) It would be an good time to make it happen.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote