Thread: Quality
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 03:44 PM   #30
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We bought our first 5th wheel in '93 after owning pop-up campers, campers on 3/4T trucks and tents. Even did a stretch of towing small stuff with our Gold Wings. While newbies in '93 we did purchase a Aljo. We had ONE issue. The black tank drain valve was glued shut. Since the Dealership had not checked it, I got to fix it at a remote spot. I returned the valve to them and gave them my thoughts.

We next bought a small 5th for a lake lot in '96, not a single issue.

Next we purchased a SOB 5th in 2000 and used it for 6 years fulltiming with not a single issue. Warranty by the Dealership in Carthage, Mo was flawless. The sink chipped and they replaced it.

Next a used 10 year old pusher. I became best friends with it and was either in or on every part of it. The DW decided it was time for the 17 year old pusher to go. We fulltimed in it for 7 years.

Now, time to go back to a 5th wheel. Montana had a floor plan we liked, a 3150RL (now discontinued). We bought from a dealership in Elkhart, In. Sales a 10, Service a "0". thus started our service issues.

Being retired from automotive dealerships, I can run a few simple tools. Took a year or so, but got most of it going now.

We are getting ready to move back to a pusher, and the one thing I am going to look for is the lack of anything Thor related.

Keystone Customer Service is worthless. You call, they note it in your file, that is the end of it. I had a emergency window latch break. Not available, part discontinued. A member here had a picture of a bin full of the parts with the part number. I called Steve Holmes, GM for Montana. After his parts person said they were not available, now she can find them in her warehouse. Steve sent me one.

A sad day when a customer has to provide the mfg. with the part number. Today, other than the closet doors will not stay on track, and fixing most of the stuff that dribbles off one of these it is working.

Will I buy another Thor product, not today. I will go back to the SOB that made my 5th wheel or a M/H maker in Alabama where I can call and actually talk to the owner.

Mr. Thor, you have gotten to where GM was in the 80's. I told my wife in '83 we would live to see GM file bankruptcy. At the time I was managing a Cadillac Dealership and the cra? they were putting out was just that cra?. Along came Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Nissan and what happened. Folks quit buying Detroit stuff, and bought stuff that did not break, did not leak, did not have wind noise, did not do anything except work properly.

Me, probably in a year or so, I'll have another pusher.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote