View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Ford and Chevy owners

Ford and Chevy owners - You gotta love us - we either hate a vehicle or we love it. Nothing like a good brand war to get the old blood boiling! Actually I just want a good tow vehicle that takes care of me if I take care of it. So, let me get my two cents in. In March I bought a 3650RK. Beautiful trailer. I had a 1999 Chevy C3500 7.4L Vortec 4.10 rear end which I was ASSURED by everyone at the dealership would pull the 5er with no problems. I also put Firestone air bags and a K & N filter kit on it($600.00)to add a little extra advantage on the road. I pulled the trailer to and from the dealer twice - in town and a total of 4 miles round trip each time. No problem, but not much of a test. 3 weeks ago we pulled to a local state park and I knew right then my truck would not pull this trailer any farther without serious damage to the engine and tranny. Now, I loved that truck. I even shed a few tears when I entered the realm of stupid and slowly backed in to the pin box with the tailgate up. Oh yah. It happened. The last thing I wanted to do was tear up my truck, so I decided to start looking around for a diesel. Well there's no such thing as a used diesel on a car lot - they just don't exist. So then Ford came out with their price plan - and so starts my quest. I had a local Ford dealer doing quick searches, I was on the internet looking at every Ford dealer inventories in the U.S.A., I called approx. 40 dealers just to hear the same four words - "WE JUST SOLD IT!" I was always a few hours to a day late. Of course I was looking for a specific color and the Tow Boss Package which made it even tougher. So I started looking at Chevy's with the same results. It's amazing how many trucks Ford and Chevy has sold during this sale. Well I really liked the look of the Ford so I kept my hopes up. The dealer called and said he located one in Alabama with everything I wanted except captain chairs. It has 40/20/40 powered/heated bench seats. Needless to say that is the truck I picked up saturday. This truck is just awesome. I think it was the last F350 tow boss in the U.S.
Well, I guess that makes me a Ford man now, but I'm not going to knock anybody's tow vehicle. I just hope whatever you drive brings you good luck and good towing, because no one wants to be broke down on the side of the road. This is my first diesel, so I have a lot to learn about this truck. A diesel is a whole different world, but there is nothing quite like the sound of a diesel.
If anyone is thinking about looking for a new truck with the employee discount, I wish you luck.
These trucks just are not out there anymore.
Now I will have a signature.

Curt Smith
2005 F350 6.0 PSD
4x4 Dually LB
Tow Boss Package 4:30 Ratio
2005 Montana 3650RK
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote