View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 02:20 PM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Glen,
As I commented in the other thread, you should be able to network with your Verizon system. As an experiment just connect the two computers together with an ethernet cable. This assumes both computers have an ethernet port. The computer with the verizon card (let's call it "A") should have a built in feature that allows you to share the internet connection with other computers on your local network ie: the computer on the other end of the ethernet cable(computer "B"). I'm not a fan of microsoft windows so I'm not sure where this feature is located. On apple machines running OSX, the feature is turned on in the preferences folder under the sharing icon.

Once you get the sharing visible, seperate the ethernet connection and find a wireless router that plugs into your ethernet port on computer "A", Then a wireless card for computer "B" and any other one you want to have on line and you should be all set.

Now comes the really neat part. I'm just setting this up at home so am not a complete expert yet. The apple program is called "Remote Desktop." Not sure what the ones for Windows are called but there are a bunch of them. Once the software is loaded you are abe to view and control other computers (called clients) from the primary computer (called the administrator). It's possible to send quick messages back and forth and do network-wide software updates. Our household has two laptops and two desktops and a variety of skill levels. Now when I hear Vikki starting to scream at her imac and threaten its life, I can tune in and see what is happening and demo a few key strokes to solve the problem. Cool -- Opps, that's mean. She usually asks for my help in a very pleasant voice. Very Apple-like...
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote