View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #87
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
quote]Originally posted by Tom S.

I suggest you read it too. From the summary:

(5) Tire Selection Criteria/De-Rating of P-metric Tires - the agency proposed retaining the de-rating percentage of 1.10 for P-metric tires used on non-passenger car vehicles and revising FMVSS No. 110 to specify that the determination of vehicle normal load ("reserve load") on the tire be based on 85% of the load at vehicle placard pressure.

(emphasis added by me). Looks to me like the Tredit rep was right.

But then I'm no tire expert either.
[/quote]

Let me tell you Tom I have read this more than once, and have consulted someone whom I believe to be an expert, not on tires but in interpreting these rules.

You have changed the wording of the first paragraph sufficiently to alter how the actual statement might be interpreted. If you are going to quote something to prove your point then quote it verbatim. According to your post the Tredit fellow said “In his words, it is not an advertised fact (I'm reading between his lines here: because they don't want the public to push the tires to that limit.) but the government told LT tire makers (he said nothing about passenger car tires, probably because we weren't discussing them, nor does Tredit supply them) to manufacture their tires with a 15% safety factor.” I wonder where this “government instruction” is written because it sure is not in this document, which deals with Vehicle Manufacturers.

Nowhere in this document does it refer to “any” directive or rule made to LT Tire manufacturers with respect to building in safety factor.

Here is a short paragraph from the document:
"For the final rule, the agency has also decided to retain the de-rating factor of 1.10 for P-metric tires used on non-passenger car vehicles. For non-passenger car vehicles equipped with P-metric tires, the vehicle normal load shall be not greater than the derated value of 94% of the tire load rating at the vehicle's placard pressure. This de-rating provides a greater load reserve when these tires are installed on vehicles other than passenger cars. For the first time, this final rule requires light trucks to have a specified tire reserve, the same as for passenger cars, under normal loading conditions."

This means to me that now light truck manufacturers must de-rate the load factor of the tires they put on their trucks by the same percentage as car manufacturers are required to do. It does not mean tire manufacturers are required to build in a 15% safety factor into their LT tires.

I cannot see that any proof has been provided to show that the fellow from Tredit was correct, in fact by changing the wording of the paragraph you discredited your case.

Bingo the wording is this: "The vehicle industry commenters supported the extension of FMVSS No. 110 applicability to light trucks, MPVs and vans under 10,000 GVWR." I interpret that to only include “motorized” vehicles, how does an RV fit in that statement?
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote