View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #58
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
The firestone tire fiasco that was centered around the ford explorer was an entire different scenario. The tires involved were rated at 106 mph at the load rating required by FORD for the explorer. Vehicle rollovers resulting in deaths drove extensive testing and research by the NHTSA, Ford and Firestone. Ford and Firestone were each understandably, motivated to find defects with each other's product. Testing proved that tread separation occurred at conditions inside the tire's specifications and ratings.
I'll stick to my TWO positions:
1. you'll never see a tire rated at 65 mph on ANY trailer i own.
2. You will have a hard time proving that failed marathon tires never exceeded labeled specifications.

Let's think about it another way:
If your children or grandchildren road in the trailer while traveling on he interstate, and knowing what we know now, would you EVER have tires rated at marginal load, only at 65 mph?.... OR
would you take the chance, and wait around for a lawsuit to compensate you for property damage and wrongful death of a loved one?... or would you be responsible and purchase tires that meet or exceed ALL of the highway and load conditions foreseen in your travels? I have been stating my position on this since i joined this forum: CHINA, Taiwan, USA, Canada, Mexico, on a tire label, don't mean near as much to me as LOAD RATING, SPEED RATING, AGE and maintenance.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote