View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 AM   #12
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
[QUOTE=Travelling Three;1057261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandC View Post
Sounds like others have solved the mystery of the suspect pipe. All Montana units have them and they are worthless IMHO.

I am like DQDick. I used an external flush system (Flush King) on my Montana's and am using the same on current MH. I watched a video a few years ago about holding tanks. A tech had a black tank in his shop and demonstrated using the OEM type black flush system to clean the tank and then using a Flush King. The results were very similar but with the Flush King you can also close off your black tank and back flush/clean your gray tanks.[

JandC, thanks for the reply. It sounds like you connected the two (in my case) white water pipes together, eliminating the black flush thingy, and are now using a Flush King system, correct? What is the purpose of the back black flush thingy anyway? I've had several campers in my life time and I don't recall seeing this back black flush thingy. Thanks again for your input.
Generally speaking you can clean and rinse your black tank by 3 methods. You can use the built in black-tank-flush that most RV's come with, you can attach a Flush King to your sewer discharge along with a water hose, or you can simply hold the toilet ball open and fill the tank with water through the toilet.

On the video where the tech had a tank in his shop he demonstrated all three methods of rinsing a black tank. The OEM internal black tank sprayer that most RV's come with really didn't spray the sides of the tank much, but it did an okay job of adding fresh water to the tank for rinsing, as did the Flush King. I really think the whole idea of the video was to demonstrate one method of flushing these black tanks was as good as the next.

Since the back-check valve in many of these OEM black tank flush systems are cheap and fail, I have always hunted them down and did away with them. I always keep a Flush King attached to my sewer discharge pipe instead. I like having the extra gate valve at the end of my sewer discharge when traveling and disconnected from a sewer line. Plus, as I already stated, with the Flush King I can back flush each of my tanks individually, not just my black tank. We found that with extended use sometimes gray tanks can begin to give off odors due to food particles, grease, and just general junk that doesn't get washed out. I back flush my gray tanks on a regular basis. Hope this helps.
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote