View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #12
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Not to throw fuel onto the fire, but I was following a YouTube video recently about a guy who owns a business. He was pulling a trailer with his 2500 HD 2020 GMC, and got pulled over. The officer told him that since it was a business, he couldn't be over 26,000 pound RATING with what his truck GVWR is and what his trailer GVWR is, UNLESS he had a CDL. Not going to get into whether that's true or not, because I don't know, and I don't ever plan on getting a CDL.

BUT, the comments that ensued from that where of the nature that it does NOT matter whether you are a business or not, if you're over 26,000 TOTAL GVWR of the trailer and truck, you need a CDL, or something more than a class C license.

So, as I thought about that, that doesn't make sense to me. For example, if that were the law, you could NOT pull our 5er with a 2500, because the GVWR on the truck is 10K, and the GVWR on our 5er is 16.5K, so you're at 26,500. Not what you weigh, but what you could weigh. Now, the issue with that is that there is NO way that you're anywhere's close to legal on payload in the truck with a 2500. That would also mean that if you had a 3500 DRW which has a GVWR of 14K, you could ONLY pull a 12K 5er without going over the 26K. Those two numbers and the capabilities of the trucks appear to be going in the wrong directions!

As I looked at my license, I wasn't for sure. My license says, "Class C: Any single vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,001 lbs." So, does that mean that my truck is the single vehicle, or the truck and trailer together is the single vehicle. Because, if it's together, we are over 26,001 GVWR...