View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
[quote]Originally posted by richfaa

We are now almost entirely dependent on the computer . Example I do not need to know how to spell to do this post, The spell checker will do it for me...Each generation has thought that the up next generation would lead us to ruin..but we survive generation after generation.

----------------------------

I agree with Rich here. The computer has made us a nation that doesn't need libraries, or spelling bees, or competent teachers to teach the basics as we as the older generation had that opportunity. It may be that those basics just aren't necessarily needed.

I shudder when I see the older generation who are not able to write a sensible sentence or punctuate properly. Don't get me started on the use of words like then/than, your/you're, this/these ....computers just can't fix these common mistakes. Maybe this isn't important anymore.

The older generation has some responsibility here too, we gave our kids computers, and they see the world through those computing eyes. Smart computer kids don't buy music, books or anything else that is accessible through the internet. Most youngsters don't even buy from local stores, they can get everything cheaper on eBay or do comparison shopping with their fingers.

When learning, we use the tools we are given. Can we blame the younger generation for not being able to count back change? I now throw my change in a jar, it is not worth that much, anyway.

Hmm, maybe I can buy a new computer with that change!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote