View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
GVWR and NCC for the 3400

I see my earlier thread on GVWR and the liability risk with the 3400 has now been locked so that the posting I made yesterday afternoon never got up. So let me take this opportunity to circle back to the initial questions I used to start the other thread and see if there is any further information that people can supply to those initial questions.

My earlier posting went thru some weight info on the 3400 provided by Rick Fox and others and compared that to the 3400's GVWR. The results to me seemed to indicate that a full timer would be at risk of going beyond the 3400's GVWR if he bought many of the heavier options offered by Montana. I asked if anyone could point out problems with my numbers. I didn't interpret any of the subsequent posts as challenging my analysis, but additional info was provided. I'd like to summarize that and clarify where some additional info would be helpful to me--and I suspect to other potential buyers of a 3400.

Based on the weight info people have supplied, it seems to me that a new 3400, with all the manditory options and some additional, light weight options like ceiling fan and fireplace, will probably weigh in at 11,500#-11,900#--although it is unclear to me what influences where in that 400# range you'd come out. In addition, the weights for other options would seem to be somewhere in the following ranges: Hi gloss (200#-250#), dual pane windows (200#-400#), slide awnings (70#-200#), second AC (100#), generator (100#-350#??), washer/dryer (100#--150#??). Does anyone have more solid numbers on the weights of these options?

As far as Net Carrying Capacity, subtracting the 11,500#-11,900# base weight from the GVWR of 13,975# leaves a NCC of 2100#-2500# for other options, personal cargo, water and black/grey tank waste water. Estimates that people have provided for personal gear for full timers have been in the range of 1500#-2000# and more. If one wants to preserve the option of dry camping at least a few times, then one should anticipate putting 600# of water in the fresh water and hot water tanks. If so, by my calculation there is no room left under the GVWR ceiling to fit in any of the heavier options offered by Montana for the 3400. Indeed, one better be a very weight conscious full timer to fit under the GVWR even without buying any of those options.

Does anyone disagree with this analysis?

My second question was whether anyone knew whether Montana's GVWR for the 3400 was based on a real engineering analysis of its structural capabilities. My read on the responses provided indicates to me that the 3400's GVWR is artificially low because Montana has chosen a pin weight of 1975# when in fact, as many owners can attest from personal experience, these units can handle pin weights of 2600#-2800# or more with no structural damage.

Again, does anyone read the responses differently or reach any different conclusion?

That being said, it seems to me that it is then up to any individual thinking of full timing to decide whether the 3400 will fit their needs. And if they go with the 3400, they are going to have to be very conscious of the weight of the options and gear they put in it and accept whatever risk exists with regard to legal liability and insurance coverage in the event they are in an accident.

One final question. Dean asked in the earlier thread whether anyone knew of instances of the "weight police" ticketing RVers for being overweight. I didn't see any replies to his question. Anyone with such knowledge?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote