Old 11-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

okay, here are the results of my test today. Hooked up the Honda 2000UI generator to the house connector. With no battery and Battery Disconnect Key turned off and removed. I had 110V and 12V for lights and furnace, etc. But I could not operation the slides, electric bedroom or hydraulic room slides.

If I turned the Battery Disconnect Key on with key installed, I could operate the bedroom electric slide, but the generator sped up a good bit. The Monty didn't like it when the hydraulic slides were operated. Generator went to maximum speed and even the furnace fan slowed down. Slides moved slower than usual.

When I installed the battery, it worked better, but the generator still went to maximum speed when operation the hydraulic slides.
If you recall a good many folks have replaced the self resetting circuit breakers that come standard on our Montana's with heavier ones, they have done this because the current draw exceeds the capacity of the breakers under certain conditions, soooo if you are drawing that amount of current with the batteries installed, imagine what the poor converter is trying to put out without batteries, it cannot sustain this current draw and likely will destroy the converter in fairly short order not to mention the hydraulic pump motor. Your generator is trying to keep up with the current draw from the converter as it tries to supply the current being asked for from the slide motor, not a good thing all around.

Now with the battery installed, which might be somewhat low and you attempt to operate the slides the converter is trying to replace the current being drawn from the battery/batteries, the converter then draws significant current from the generator causing it to also speed up to try and satisfy the draw from the converter.

I have a 90amp Progressive Industries converter as I would think you do also since they are the same model, I also have a hard wired Progressive Ind 50A EMS, when my batteries are fully charged the current draw on line 1 which is the one the converter is on is 1 amp, when I operate the slide pump in "stall" mode (all slides in but trying to bring them in further) which loads the pump heavily, the current draw on line one goes up to 24A trying to replace the current being drawn from the batteries.

Converters are "not" designed to supply sufficient current to operate the slides without the batteries. On my control panel in the stairway there is a red and white sticker beside the slide switch that states "Not to be operated without battery hookup". That to me says it all.

Good summary and explanation. Thanks!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote