View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #20
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Actually I believe there is a method to the madness at Keystone and other manufacturers. The solid wood facings have to be removed to remove a slide in the event one must be removed for whatever reason. I suspect that is a reason they use Brad nails.
I would not be gluing those facial boards on since significant damage would occur trying to take one off in future.

In order to screw them on they would have to use wooden plugs, those plugs are famous for falling out, then you have a gaping hole where the screw head is imbedded in the wood. It is also significantly more labour intensive to do it this way.

I had the right side one fall off my entertainment slide out on my 3402RL and although there were a fair number of Brads they were not all in a position to enter into solid wood behind them, some had missed the wood entirely and one was sticking into the rubber seal. Those that I could not pull out from the back I ground off and made sure my replacement ones were into the wood frame of the push out. After filling the holes you cannot tell where they were unless you look very closely and it is holding fine now.

Although I don't think my facing should fall off on it's own, I don't have nearly the issue with the fact that it did when I consider the issues with the frame that I cannot readily see and which would be a major repair.

It is what I cannot see happening that scares me.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote