View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #49
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Ok, here is what I have learned from IOTA. The 3400RL I have has a DLS55 converter. This converter puts out up to 55 amps through the two 30 amp fuses that are in parallel. When the 5r is plugged in to AC power, the converter supplies the 12v power/amps up to the 55 amps and then the battery supplies the additional if required. The major draws on the 12v system are the slides and the front legs. The two 30 amp fuses also protect the converter IF you happen to connect the battery or the converter reversed.
If the 'load' exceeds 30 amps the load is spread across both fuses, IF one of the fuses is blown, any load exceeding the 30 amps will blow the remaining fuse. So, MY LESSON LEARNED, TEST the fuse, do not look at the fuse for the open. Following this information I tested the fuses, (I kept the fuses that I had blown), and sure enough all of the fuses were bad, even the one fuse I thought was good in the left hand position. I changed th e fuse just because, even though it looked good. So, when putting the slide in & out, the current draw is greater than one 30 amp fuse can conduct. I have not gotten the info on the amperage draw of the slide motor. It is clear to me now that in cold (below 38 to 40 degrees), the amperage draw is greater due to the hydraulic fluid getting cold and harder to move the slides.
So, IF one of the 30 amp fuses on the 12v panel has blown, it is almost a sure bet the other fuse has blown earlier.
As my earlier post indicated, I was confused since following replacement of the fuses and charging of the battery, I no longer had a problem. What might have caused the left hand 30 amp fuse to blow I do not know, but at least I now know if my slides really slow down and the 12v lights are dim, check both of the 30 amp fuses.
Hopefully this makes sense and I have not butchered the information I have received from IOTA too much.
Thanks to all who provided information and ideas. I will still try to get my simple sketch posted for what I believe the 12v schematic for the battery, slide motor, 12v fuse panel and converter to be.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote