View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #21
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Louise and I are currently at Chatfield State Park in Colorado. Having spent 2 weeks getting here from Northern Illinois, we feel safe in comparing Illinois to Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado.

During our trip here we stayed at state or county parks when ever possible. We are also a stones throw from Illinois Beach State Park in Northern Illinois. All of the parks we have visited are beautiful, well maintained with professional acting staff, except Illinois. Illinois raised it's rates to an unbelievable $35/for holidays and $25 for regular weekends. They do offer $20 for seniors and vets on non holidays only and only week days. Illinois Beach is staffed with a minimum of 6 sites occupied by campground hosts. The condition of their RVs, with the exception of 1 or 2 are disgusting. The jobs of the hosts are to help at the nature center and at the campground registration hut.

Illinois Beach's main lodge was outsourced years ago to a private company to help off set the cost of running the park. We have not been to the park because of the cost and the lack of programs, friendliness, and ameneties. You see I forgot to mention that you only get 30 amp electric for the fees. The two full hook up sites are occupied by 2 of the 6 hosts. The campground hosts also seem to occupy most of the handicap sites s well. There are water hook ups through out the campground to fill your holding tank, when they work.

We are lucky though, because about 20 miles to the north is a great county park in Racine, Wi.

"Hot Rod" our esteem governor, can be blamed for a lot of things and I'm sorry that I voted for him. But if the parks being closed are any evidence of what we have experienced in our own back door than so be it. We will continue to enjoy and pay for the fruits of other states labors.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote