View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 AM   #30
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Early on I thought I had regrets until I realized what the regrets were about - the driving, the weight, the size, the setup, the backing up and where we couldn't fit. But now with experience I DO NOT regret it:

- The drive is no different because you need to consider clearance no matter what the length.
- The weight while heavier is not noticeable when you are driving and anyone concerned about MPGs shouldn't be towing an RV. The benefits of what the weight brings far outweigh what you have wherever you stay.
- The size doesn't matter because if you were 40 ft long with a short trailer and went to 50 ft long, what's really the difference. The only difference you need to consider is from driving a solo vehicle or driving a two rig combination. What difference does that make how long it is after the solo vehicle? not much to me it turns out.
- The setup is the same no matter the size of the trailer. BUT, with a larger trailer you can have so much more room for yourselves and all the guests when they pile into your rig because of poor weather and it can contain almost everyone even with multiple rigs and the partying can continue.
- Backing up. Practice solves that problem, then the gain in confidence is immeasurable and therefore the places you can go increase as the fear subsides.
- So the large RV doesn't fit in all rustic National Park campgrounds. There is always somewhere you can accomodate your rig and having the rig means bathing, cooking, cleaning, entertainment occurs much quicker per the inherent convenience. I have not given up tent camping or hiking/backpacking, I have just added the ability of bringing all the comforts of home if I want. There are so many places to go that are not size restrictive.

DW still brings it up on occasion but when we discuss the benefits, all is good. That's the time when we need to get ourselves back out there and remind ourselves of the benefits. After all, we no longer have to point at the behemoths that used to be amongst us and think, "How come we aren't living in something that nice"? We are now!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote